Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Monarchical Flags of the World

In 2008 when I was getting ready to move from Charlotte to Dallas, I discarded a number of things that I now wish I'd kept. One of them was a poster I'd made in the early 1990s of the flags of the world's 28 countries with resident reigning monarchs. Twenty-eight was a convenient number as the flags could be arranged four across by seven down. When the Cambodian monarchy was restored in 1993, I happily added its flag to the top, perched somewhat awkwardly. By 2008 the colors had faded so it didn't look as nice, and with the death of Malietoa Tanumafili II (generally considered Samoa's last monarch) in 2007 and the fall of the monarchy of Nepal in 2008 the poster was no longer current, so in a fit of pique at what had just happened in Nepal I threw it out. I think that was a mistake. Nothing I can do about it now. I can still see it so clearly in my mind, nearly seven years later.


This afternoon I produced an updated new online recreation of the aforementioned poster, with the addition of the Commonwealth Realms. (The original did not include Vatican City, but in order to have an even 28 I have done so now.) Links are provided for those official websites of which I am aware, but see how many you can identify. The most beautiful flags are the flags of monarchies. If only there were many more!

No comments: