Monday, January 28, 2013

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima

The Dutch Royal House has confirmed that it's to be King Willem-Alexander I (not Willem IV as traditionalists like me would have preferred) and Queen Maxima, hopefully putting to rest rumors that Maxima would not be titled queen.  Also, the Dutch national day will move in 2014 from April 30 to April 27, the by-then-king's actual birthday, and the children of Princess Margriet will no longer be in line for the throne or members of the Royal House, though their titles will not change.   

Incidentally this will be only the second time a European kingdom has changed hands since I've been old enough to follow royal news (the first time being Belgium in 1993, almost twenty years ago, when I was 15).   While Juliana was still Queen when I was born, Beatrix has been on the throne for longer than anyone my age or younger can remember, so this will be quite a momentous transition.

No comments: