Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Elizabeth the Modern Monarch



Diane Rehm interviews Sally Bedell Smith about her new book Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch, including topics such as the fascination of many Americans with the British Monarchy and anecdotes such as HM's priceless reaction to Smith's daughter's plans to get married in London on the Fourth of July: "that's a bit dangerous!" Ms. Smith does an excellent job responding to a question from a listener who doesn't see the point of an "archaic" monarchy, probably better than I would have done since I have little patience for people like that.

(Thanks to my mother Susan Raccoli for calling my attention to this program.)

1 comment:

Maycee Greene said...

I love to read anything royal. I have read about all the royal family going back to the time of William the Conqueror. This book didn't disappoint. You get an insight as to what the queen really does. Loved the pictures too.

Maycee Greene (Premium SEO - Olympia)