Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Defending Camilla

Simon Heffer rightly castigates the British public and media for their cruel and absurd treatment of the Prince of Wales and especially his wife the Duchess of Cornwall. I like Charles and Camilla and wholeheartedly agree, being sick of the abuse routinely hurled at them even by people who claim to support the monarchy and would never criticize his mother or his elder son. It is dangerous for monarchists to pin all their hopes on Prince William simply because he is young, handsome, and as yet more or less untouched by scandal. Everyone ages eventually, and the monarchy cannot depend on the youth and glamour of William & Kate. Prince Charles has served his country tirelessly, as has Camilla since their marriage, and they deserve more respect.

1 comment:

Aaron Traas said...

I'd have to agree. I think one of the key things I respect of Camilla is her humility in the public eye. I think she realizes how the public views her, and the damage it could do to the institution of the monarchy in the UK, and is pretty subdued publicly. At least, that's how I see it.

I think it's asinine to ask Charles to abdicate in favor of his son. Perhaps were he a poor fit for the crown as his great-uncle was, but that's clearly not the case. Does he have a spotless past? No, but who does these days?